March 01, 2007

New TAB Post: What are the Core Mac Apps?

In the first TAB post following my "Apple Should Dump Purchased Items" fiasco last month, I speculated on just what the core applications are that define the Macintosh experience. While iTunes and the iPod have made traction on the Windows platform, Apple has held its other core applications, with the exception of QuickTime, close to the vest. iLife is Mac-only. Safari and Mail.app are also Mac only. What would happen if Apple ported those apps to Windows? Would it help with the "iPod Halo Effect"?

This time around, the story was better received, and I didn't get laughed out of Dodge. Good thing. That may have further damaged my ego.

That's the idea behind my most recent contribution to The Apple Blog, titled What Core Apps Define the Mac?. Per agreement with them, I will not be cross-posting the piece, but instead, have provided a link. Enjoy.