October 22, 2007

Mid-Day Apple Notes, Post Earnings

As anticipated, Apple blew past analysts' earnings estimates this afternoon, as has now become commonplace for the company. Apple sold more than 1.1 million iPhones in the quarter, partially explaining why I see them everywhere now. Seems every good tech geek has one except me! The company also is seeing continued Mac sales growth. With those results, Apple stock jumped more than $10 a share, and is now trading after hours in the $184 range.

As I noted earlier, I took the opportunity for a quick one-day trade, getting in around $170 at 6:30 this morning, and getting out at $183.7 after hours. I don't have the patience to watch the stock accumulate, even with all the long-term opportunities I've missed in Apple, Google and others in the last few years. Sometimes, you just have to accept the fact it was time to take profits, and look for the next quick momentum pop.

Obviously, that trade easily more than pays for my near-term acquisition of Apple's new operating system release, Leopard, which hits stores on Friday. I watched a helpful guide to the new operating system last night, and posted my comments over on The Apple Blog (Leopard Is Coming, and I Want It). Mac OS X is just extending its lead over Microsoft Vista, and the innovation from Cupertino continues to reaffirm that I made the right choice for my OS. Hopefully, more will continue to make the switch in quarters to come.