October 12, 2007

Can I Convince Myself to Get an iPod Touch?

I'm getting that itch again. That "I need a new shiny gadget" itch.

I just upgraded to a new MacBook Pro with VMWare Fusion, and am ecstatic about that. I even put in an order for a new TiVo HD last night. So that's covered. But when it comes to my iPod, I've got Apple's low-end first generation Shuffle, and an outdated, trying to die, iPod Photo with 60 Gigs on it. Neither device plays TV shows or movies. And clearly, neither device comes close to making me think its an iPhone.

This upcoming week, I've got a two-day business trip to Dallas, Texas. For the flight out and back, it'd be awesome to have an iPod Touch with me. I've tinkered with the iPod Touch at the nearby Apple Store, and coveted its Web access via WiFi and multimedia on the go. Could this be the trip where idle hands and available credit form a perfect storm that see me adding yet another unnecessary device to the arsenal?

Right now, I'd give it an 80/20 chance it's not. But part of me wants to get up early tomorrow and make an Apple Store run.