May 02, 2007

Ballhype's First Two-Time Golden Picks Winner Is...

Given how I'm not even on the leaderboard for this week's contest (it's early!), I almost regret mentioning it, but through sheer luck and occasional flukiness, I managed to come in first place in Ballhype's Golden Picks contest last week, making it my second win in the four weeks the contest has been running. I also finished third the prior week and, as you recall, I won the first time the contest was held. It's yet again, one of those talents that has just about zero application to the real world. There's no money to be made from random sports outcome guesses on this here Internet.

Meanwhile, Ballhype is growing by leaps and bounds. Rarely does a day go by when I don't find a new feature on the site. Jason and Erin, the husband and wife combo behind the magic, are rapidly building out a solid site that is my go to for breaking sports news and scoreboard watching. ESPN.com and MLB.com are no longer a destination for me, except in those rare opportunities when Ballhype and Sports Blogs Nation let me down.

Of course, as they add features and users, the likelihood that I can extend my winning streak will rapidly go away. There are always more people out there with more free time than me who will take to the site and make me an afterthought. At least we've had fun when the site was getting off the ground!

Recent features are highlighted on the Ballhype blog. Go check it out!