February 25, 2010

Advisory Update: BuzzGain Acquired By Meltwater Group

Just a quick note to mention that BuzzGain, the "do it yourself PR" service started by Mukund Mohan and others, was recently acquired by Meltwater Group, a media monitoring company I have used at multiple companies. PaidContent covered the story yesterday following a press release from Meltwater announcing the acquisition, and that company's reaching $100 million in bookings.

I covered BuzzGain's launch in early 2009, and since March of 2008, regularly met with Mukund to talk about product development, strategy and networking.

Although I wasn't as closely involved with BuzzGain as I have with other advisory roles, such as my interaction with Jesse Stay's SocialToo, I appreciate Mukund reaching out to me, as BuzzGain was my first advisory opportunity, and now, the first exit. It should be interesting to see how Meltwater brings the social media monitoring prowess of BuzzGain to its lengthy client list.

Disclosure: As an advisor to BuzzGain, I held a small equity stake in the company. I will be marking the change in ownership for BuzzGain in my "About" page and LinkedIn profile.