December 18, 2006

Recent Site Downtime - Not My Fault, I Swear

I don't know if it is a good thing that I was posting less to the blog this week or not, but over the last two to three days, it has been just short of impossible to access louisgray.com - even for me. So, although I've seen the occasionally visitor, site traffic has fallen dramatically, and I've had nothing but errors getting to the site, from home or at the office.

As this isn't the first time this has happened, I wrote to Register.com, who hosts the site, and asked them if they knew of any issues, or ISP or geographic problems (say if it were blocked by Comcast or all of Northern California). Today, I got an e-mail back, where they admitted they had an issue, and they suggested I somehow convince Comcast to make a change. As if I could tangle with a mega-ISP for my puny little blog.

Their response?

To begin with, we apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

We understand that there was a problem with our web site. But it is resolved. So I request you to contact your ISP provider and tell them to delete the cache files from the server.


So how I read it is this: "Yeah, we messed up. We know it. But it's fixed. See if you can get your mega-ISP to refresh. Our bad."

If this keeps happening, we're moving. I know outages happen. I'm not naive. But it'd be nice to have been notified, or if they had offered to "make it right" financially, as other hosts do when they have issues. Hmph.

Listening to ''The Fields of Love', by ATB (Play Count: 11)