December 20, 2006

Christmas Gift for Me: 42 Inch Plasma TV (Only $699)

I've been eyeing the flat-screen market for a long time, and I can't exactly get geeked up over pixel counts, I/O ports and the eternal debate of Plasma vs. LCDs or one brand vs. another. All I know is that the TVs my wife and I have in our living room and bedroom need to disappear. Their time has come and gone. They're old, they lack elegance, and they are bulky CRT monitors, incapable of making us look like we are on the cutting edge of technology.

Given how we have embraced iPods, the Blackberry and all things Apple, a change is obviously needed. Kristine and I had come to the conclusion that this holiday season was as good a time as any to take the plunge and upgrade both TVs, but budget and timing hasn't gotten us to flat-screen paradise yet.

This morning, that all changed. On one of the bigger "impulse buys" I've ever done, I found via CNET and eventually on Amazon, a 42-inch HD-capable plasma flat screen, for the low-low price of $699. While I know it's not the latest and greatest, its a huge upgrade from our current set in the bedroom, and should be a significant improvement to our viewing experience. By 7 this morning I'd clicked through and ordered both it and a wall mount for ideal enjoyment. Now, I just have to wait until the second week of January or so to see how the thing looks in our home. I'm looking forward to it already.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Amazon's even sending it with free shipping. Forget about $2,000+ sticker prices and $200 shipping. The whole package, including wall mount, is coming in for less than $800.

Listening to ''On Stream'', by Ron Hagen & Pascal M (Play Count: 3)