August 06, 2006

Airplane In-Flight Movie Selection Is Improving

In January, following a trip to the East Coast, I complained that the in-flight film selections left a lot to be desired. It seemed then that any tripe that had Ashton Kutcher, Adam Sandler or Will Ferrell would bubble up to the TV screen on my United flights, and, as a captive audience, I would be forced to watch it. 

Yet, it already seems that things have improved, just in the last few months, surprisingly. In May, during my trip to Chicago, we were treated to King Kong. This last week, we saw Ice Age 2: The Meltdown on the way to Chicago, and Mission: Impossible 3 on the way back from Chicago to San Jose. All three of those films were potentially on my list to catch that I hadn't yet seen, for whatever reason, on the big screen.

Now, I have to admit that each of the three aforementioned films likely lost quite a bit of their luster through being displayed on what couldn't be more than a 13-inch screen, and during the showing of Ice Age 2, we particularly had to look through some sort of pink film that didn't give the graphics their due. But it was much better than being stuck in front of some horrendous tripe like Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo, or something of that sort.

I don't know if this is just coincidence that we've seen an uptick in film quality since the beginning of the year, if the sample size is too small, or if the future months will return to previous depths, but if it is a real trend, I applaud it, and wouldn't mind taking calls from United or others on just what I personally think should be on their list in the future. After all, my cell phone's listed up in the top right corner of the site. I'll await your call.

Listening to ''Into Your Eyes'', by Armand Van Helden (Play Count: 5)