April 10, 2006

Matt Drudge Gives Away West Wing Winner

Tonight was the long-awaited Election results episode on The West Wing, where Matthew Santos (Jimmy Smits) and Arnie Vinick (Alan Alda) have been duking it out for the highest position in all the land. While our TiVo dutifully recorded it, and awaited our viewing, I had not anticipated running across any site that would carelessly blurt out the result before I had the chance to see it for myself. Unlike a sports event like the Olympics or Super Bowl - where I could go out of my way to avoid seeing the score, I didn't fear this issue with a simple TV drama. Unfortunately, in the evening, I visited Matt Drudge's Drudge Report and encountered a headline "SURPRISE! (PARTY NAME) WINS 'WEST WING' PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION...", only the words "Party Name" were replaced by the actual party of the TV show's nominee.

While I of course enjoyed watching the show after 11 p.m., I had already known the outcome, and had to be good - not telling my wife of the result, and not being caught up in the drama that entailed of who was going to gather the final electoral votes from toss-up states. The right thing to do for Matt Drudge, and he knows better, was to have put the word "Spoiler" before the link to warn potential viewers.

Listening to ''String Theory'', by Alex Gold (Play Count: 1)